Volunteers planted 1,100 trees in less than 2 ½ hours as part of the 7th annual tree planting competition sponsored by the Texas A&M Forest Service, Houston Area Urban Forestry Council, the Harris County Flood Control District and CenterPoint Energy. Eleven 11 member teams competed for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in Professional, Amateur and Youth divisions.
Each 11-member team – 10 planters and one captain – were assigned 100 5-gallon containerized trees, a mound of mulch, and a designated area. Teams worked against the clock to plant the trees, according to established guidelines for correct hole (depth and width), proper mulching, and spacing. HAUFC and the Flood Control District provided judges and timekeepers.
First place in the Professional Division went to returning champs BIO Landscape and Maintenance, which turned in an impressive time of 21 minutes and 21 seconds. (BIO was the only contestant in that division this year.)
Top three teams in the Amateur Division were:
• First place, Houston Community College – 51 minutes and 47 seconds
• Second place, CenterPoint Energy – 59 minutes and 58 seconds
• Third place, Sam Houston State Alumni – 83 minutes and 34 seconds
Top three teams in the Student Division were all from Memorial High School:
• First place, Memorial Mustang Outreach Bunch Team 2 – 103 minutes and 56 seconds
• Second place, Memorial Mustang Outreach Bunch Team 1 – 107 minutes and 51 seconds
• Third place, Memorial Mustang Outreach Bunch Team 3 – 130 minutes and 14 seconds